• SuperSport claim first Nedbank Cup final spot

    SuperSport United into the Nedbank Cup finals SuperSport claim first Nedbank Cup final spot

    SuperSport United became the first to advance to the final of the Nedbank Cup after claiming a 4-2 victory on penalties over Chippa United on Saturday, writes DYLAN APPOLIS.

    The Chilli Boys got off to a great start and saw more possession of the ball during the opening exchanges of the match.

    Chippa produced the first chance of the match in the 27th minute as Sandile Zuke made his way into the area, but he guided his lobbed effort wide of the target.

    Dan Malesela opted to make a change in the 35th minute when he replaced midfielder Xolani Mdaki with Siyabonga Ngubane.

    Meanwhile, Stuart Baxter made a double change at the break, bringing on Mandla Masango and Bradley Grobler for Teboho Mokoena and Thabo Mnyamane respectively.

    SuperSport nearly found the opening goal in the 64th minute when Thuso Phala latched on to a pass from Jeremy Brockie before firing an effort at goal, but could only blaze his effort over the target.

    Chippa had a chance of their own six minutes later when substitute Rhulani Manzini unleashed a strike at goal, however his effort was guided wide of the crossbar.

    Brockie had a great chance to seal the win in the 80th minute as he found himself in space inside the area before volleying his effort over the crossbar.

    Both sides failed to settle the match after 90 minutes and had to force the game into another 30 minutes of extra time.

    Malesela’s side should’ve sealed the win in the final five minutes of the match when Lerato Manzini unleashed a strike from distance, which flew narrowly wide of the target.

    However, the match had to be settled in a penalty shoot-out, with SuperSport United showing their composure, as they claimed a 4-2 win to process to the final of the competition.

    – This story originally appeared on SportsClub.co.za

    You may also like